This is the recipe for one of my all time favour deserts. It is a cheesecake that my Grandma makes every Boxing day and whenever I eat it, it brings back nostalgic memories of my childhood. It's a very simple recipe and only takes around 20 minutes to prepare.
4oz digestive biscuits
3oz Philadelphia cream cheese
1 packet Bird's Dream Topping
4oz icing sugar
Vanilla extract to taste
Two mixing bowls
Spring form tin
Electric hand whisk or similar
1. Grease your spring form tin with butter. Make the base, start by crushing the biscuits and melting the butter. Once the biscuits are a fine crumb pour the melted butter into the bowl. Mix biscuits and butter together. Once combined evenly poor the base mix into your greased spin form tin. Pat down the crumbs to form a crust on the bottom of the tin. I also bring the base up the sides of the tin but this is optional.
2. Make up the Bird's Dream Topping following the instructions on the packet. I whisk it up for around 5-10mins with electric beaters till it forms a soft peak texture (similar to whipped cream) having a firmer texture at this stage means the cheesecake will hold together better.
3. Whisk in the cream cheese until fully combined. Then add the icing sugar a little at a time. You can do it all in one go if you want but by mixing it a little at a time it stops it spreading a sugary cloud all over your kitchen.
4. Add the vanilla extract, I like mine pretty vanillary so I added two tea spoons but you can add as much or as little as you like. You could also mix it up and add other flavours if you wanted to. Whisk it all together to make sure the whisk is completely smooth.
5. Pour mixture over base and roughly flatten the surface. I like to decorate mine with chocolate shapes but you could use anything. Kiwi and strawberry slices also like nice if you are making this for a summer bbq.
Once prepared the cheesecake only needs to chill for around 30 minutes in the fridge before it's ready to eat. This cheesecake can be made well in advance of any event and frozen. All you need to do is take it out of the freezer the day before you need it and put it in the fridge.